Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sea Glass Finds!


picnikfile_65VaTM, originally uploaded by 1022 Sea Shell Ave.

Last night at sun set my daughter and I took a stroll down to the light house to see what we could find. We spent a few minutes picking up tiny sea glass shards when someone yelled out "what are you looking for?". I yelled "sea glass" to a lady sitting in her car. Then she motioned for me to come to her. We walked over and she handed me everything you see here except the huge brown chunks. Those we find at another local secluded spot. The woman turns out to be from the area and said she found it all right there at the light house. Needless to say we will be searching and scouring more often knowing what can actually be found!
The big brown chunks of glass really has me puzzled, I have never seen such heavy chunks but collect it none the less, they make me want to have a fish tank, I think they would be perfect for that. If anyone has any information please pass it along, I'd even be willing to send it out if someone has a background and can tell me more about them. The largest peace is about 3 inches long and 4 inches wide.
Happy Sunday Everyone :)
Don't forget to feed the fish and follow......

7 comments:

  1. Sea glass finds? I've found only one piece of brown in an entire year. So little is made of glass today that genuine sea glass is hard to find. You didn't need me to tell you that did you. Your a beachcombing expert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I think what you could have are glass culls from glassblowing. I live in an old glassblowing town in NJ. The sand was used to make the glass. When they were finished at the end of the day the glass pieces were dumped in a local woods near me. When it rains they come to the surface. I have glass jars full of them, some jagged like yours, some teardrops. They have been in the ground for close to 100 years. One of these days I will think of a project to do with them. Or maybe I will sell them. They had to pick up some magic being the ground that long. 8>) Perhaps if you live near old glassblowing centers yours could be old culls too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working on a Treasury East, your first in line Beach House Living :)

    http://www.etsy.com/treasury/e085ea1d3832cb4b8da69400/yep

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice finds! Wow I must show Mark, he's going to be soooo jealous. We have a few small vases full of beach glass that he found on the West Coast over the years. There's none to be found here in the Gulf.
    We may just have to make our way up to the Jersey Shore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the fish! and I love finding beach glass, we even find them in the local creek.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inchworm, thanks for that! I will have to research that area, I'm not sure the Wildwoods had any glassblowing centers. They sure are pretty and would love to really know what they are. We find them along the back bay and do seem to rise up after heavy rains. The kids will be searching for more tomorrow!
    :)
    Kim

    (rctees, the coffee pot is on!)
    Hi Ya Raige, do you have pic's?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting those pieces are. I found something similar, but it was a little more smoothed and appears to be carnival glass. The glass blowers culls sounds very plausible though since you have found several and it was right after it rained. ~Lili

    ReplyDelete