Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Conch Whelk Seashells

We found this small spiral sack on the beach and brought it home, I told the kids it was full of
baby conch shells. I don't think they would have survived if we left them on the beach, they were washed all the way up by the high tide line and already dried out.


It takes years for the conchs to grow big, usually the bigger the shell the older the conch is.


The conch's I hand paint have no living snail inside when I collect them, I only pick up the empty ones. They are only found (here in New Jersey) on the coldest days in the winter usually after a huge storm has passed up the coast.
They are beautiful left natural too!



3 comments:

  1. Hi
    oh my, such natural beauty and wonderful information to behold about life's treasures of the sea. "thank you"

    Love Gail
    peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea where or how the conch started. Wow how cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I thought you were just kidding, but then I realized I had never really thought of the shells starting out small. That is fascinating! Now I will pay attention more, seeing that I'm always roaming down at the shore. Very cool info, thanks! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete